Data Retention Policy – Value of Historical Data
We are always working on ways to improve our data storage and efficiency.
If you are subject to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), please see additional information here.
Our data retention policy works such that the less data there is in your account, the longer it will last.
Specifically, the following rules for data retention will apply:
- Email Campaigns: Users with over 10,000 campaigns in their account will have their campaigns deleted after the campaigns are one year old. Users with less than 10,000 campaigns will have the campaigns preserved indefinitely. Only about 1% of JangoMail users have more than 10,000 campaigns in their account. Email campaigns include the content of a campaign and the summary stats for that campaign, such as total opens, unique opens, total clicks, etc.
- Detailed Recipient Data: Users with over 10,000 campaigns will have this data retained for 90 days. All other users will have this data retained for 180 days. This includes the final recipient list for an email campaign.
- Detailed Open Tracking Data: Users with over 1,000 campaigns in their account will have detailed open tracking data purged after 90 days. All other users will have detailed open tracking data purged after 180 days. This data includes the email address that opened, along with the time, IP address, email client, and location.
- Detailed Click Tracking Data: For all users, detailed click tracking data will be available for 180 days. This data includes the email address that clicked, the URL, the position, HTML or Plain Text message, the IP address, browser, and location.
- Detailed Website Activity Tracking Data: For all users, detailed web site activity tracking data will be stored for 365 days. This data includes the page on your website a recipient visited after clicking a link in an email, along with the IP address and browser used, along with any custom tagging applied to particular web pages.
- Transactional Email Data: For active users with more than 100,000 total transactional emails, this data will be available for 120 days. For active users with fewer than 100,000 transactional emails, this data will be retained indefinitely. This includes the recipient address, from address, from name, subject, size, and other properties of transactional email but does NOT include the body of each transactional email. We never store the content of individual transactional emails. This also includes detailed open and click tracking data associated with transactional email. Inactive user accounts will have their data deleted at our discretion and is subject to being deleted at any time after your account has gone inactive.
- Email Lists: All of your Email Lists (up to 10,000 lists) are maintained indefinitely while your account is active. If you have more than 10,000 lists, the latest 10,000 will be kept.
- Unsubscribes, Bounces, Complaints, and Survey Data: This data remains indefinitely while your account is active.
- Incoming Email Data: Incoming email messages, such as replies, bounces, manual unsubscribe requests are stored for 7 days, and is unchanged from before. This includes the full content of all replies that are gathered after an email campaign is sent. This includes the content of the bounced message and the content of the unsubscribe request, but this does NOT include the actual bounced email address and the actual unsubscribed email address, which are both stored indefinitely.
- Autoresponder, recurring, confirmed opt-in, and trigger: This data is stored for 30 days.
We know that having access to historical data is important, as it allows our users to send campaigns based on historical data. We’re always working on ways to improve our data storage and efficiency, and if you have any particular storage needs related to your account data, let us know, and we’ll do our best to accommodate you individually.